Saturday, December 29, 2012

Gingerbread Souffles





I hope everyone is enjoying a Winter Wonderland like we are......so beautiful!  We had a lovely Christmas, just the hubby and I. 

I had back surgery on Dec. 20th, so at this point I'm just past the one week mark of recovery.  It's going to take a full 6 weeks before I can lift anything more than 5lbs., but otherwise, I'm getting stronger every day~I can see and feel my progress.  With any luck, I'll be back walking those trails this Spring and/or Summer!

In the meantime, I'm spending a lot of time reading, catching up on movies I never got around to watching and just resting. 

Here's a nice dessert for this time of year:

Gingerbread Souffle



This impressive dessert isn't difficult, but do plan ahead.  Preheat the oven, and just before sitting down to dinner, pop the souffles in.  When done, serve them all puffed up and gorgeous!

1 C milk
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 C molasses
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. vanilla extract
6 large eggs, separated
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
Sweetened whipped cream, crushed gingersnaps

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan until smooth.
Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.  Transfer mixture to a large bowl, and whisk in molasses and next 4 ingredients.  Cool 15 minutes.  Whisk in egg yolks.

Butter 10 (7 oz.) ramekins; sprinkle with sugar to coat, and shake out excess.

Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.  Fold one-third of egg mixutre into milk mixture until well blendd.  Repeat twice with remaining egg white mixture.  Spoon batter into prepared ramekins, leaving 3/4-inch space at top of each.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until puffy and set.  Serve immediately with whipped cream and crushed gingersnaps.

Note:  You may also bake this in a 2-1/2 qt. souffle dish, if you don't have ramekins.  Bake 55-60 minutes or until pufy and set.

Makes 10 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment