Monday, August 6, 2012

Mom's Butterscotch Pie


     Mom always waved us out of the kitchen when she was cooking, but I believe my love of good food and the preparation of creating something with love stems from my childhood. 
     My mother is a great cook and so was my grandmother and my great-grandmother.  My fondest memories are of Sunday and holiday dinners that my great-grandmother hosted when she was up there in years.  I'm still in awe of the fact that she desired to prepare such big feasts, let alone that her health allowed her to pull it off! 
     I've heard tales that if my Uncle desired "grandma's fudge" in the middle of the night, she would get out of bed, go to the kitchen and start making it!  Her dishes were definitely served up with a heaping dose of LOVE and that feeling is what I strived to provide for my own children. 
     I have two sons; the eldest does cook some of MY recipes, which warms my heart.  Meals around the table CAN create memories to last a lifetime!
     This pie is one of my very favorites that mom used to make, and she didn't make it all that often as she considered it kinda labor intensive, with the graham cracker crust and meringue.  Back in those days, my mother would NEVER have purchased a pre-made pie crust! 
     We actually didn't have sweets very often while growing up; except when company came for dinner.  So I prayed alot for company.....ha ha.
     My deprivation created an insatiable sweet tooth and the motto.........life is too short not to have dessert......OFTEN.  ~Enjoy~

Mom's Butterscotch Pie

1/2 C all-purpose flour
4 Tbsp. butter
1 pint hot milk
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 C light brown sugar
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Graham cracker pie crust, either home-made, or pre-made

Combine flour and butter over low heat (mom uses a double-boiler); stir till well blended.  Stir in hot milk gradually.  Continue stirring while cooking.  When thick, blend in salt and sugar.  Stir a little of hot mixture into egg yolks.  Return to sauce pan.  Cook over hot water 5 minutes.  Add flavoring and pour into cooked pie shell.

Meringue

***Best to use COLD egg whites

2 egg whites
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/3 C sugar
Few drops vanilla extract

Beat egg whites until foamy.  Add cream of tartar and beat till stiff.  Beat in sugar gradually.  Add vanilla.  Spread all the way to the edges of the cooled pie.

Bake in 325 degree oven about 15 minutes, or until the meringue is golden.



No comments:

Post a Comment