Sunday, December 18, 2011

Enchiladas

For years I made these with ground turkey, but now with ground beef.  You could also use ground chicken, or even shredded chicken.  Make it to suit YOUR taste!



Enchiladas

1 lb. ground beef or turkey, uncooked
1 pkg. taco-seasoning mix
3/4 C water
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) tomatoes, drained and diced
1 can (16 oz.) refried beans (*may substitute vegetarian beans)
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, drained
10 Whole wheat OR flour tortillas
4 C shredded cheddar cheese (1 lb.)
1 jar (8 oz.) red taco sauce

Cook met in a large skillet over medium heat about 5 minutes, breaking i tup with a wooden spoon until meat loses its pink color.  Stir in seasoning mix and water until well blended.  Add tomatoes and chilies; cook about 10 minutes until slightly thickened.  Remove from heat.  Let stand 5 minutes to cool. 

To assemble, spread 2 tablespoons refried beans down center of each tortilla.  Top with 2 tablespoons meat mixture, then a scant 1/4 cup cheese.  Roll up tightly.  Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Place rolled up tortillas seam side down in baking dish.  Top each with 1 1/2 tablespoons taco sauce.  cover and bake 20 minutes.  Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese (really!??  I think you all know me better than that--I COVER the entire top with shredded cheese) and bake, uncovered, 10 minutes more or until cheese melts. 
Makes 10 servings  . **This is EXCELLENT, by the way, with my green chili rice and a crisp, cool salad. 

6 comments:

  1. I love finding new recipes. This looks really delicious. Thanks for sharing and also thanks for linking up in Exposure 99% weekday hop, i look forward being part of your blog. Merry christmas in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy ~ delish! Have to try the recipe ~ Thanks for linking up with A Creative Harbor 'blog hop' ~ Would you mind showing my 'button' or a link in some way ~ thanks ~ Happy Holidays ^_^ Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carol,
    Thanks....I'm still learning about Blog Hops. I will try to figure out how to show your "button"....lol...I don't know a thing about them. If not, are you saying a direct link to your blog? Should I do that in a (new) post on MY blog....saying I'm participating in a blog hop, then list your link and any others I connect with??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello May..thanks for stopping by and commenting. I hope I can figure out the blog hop stuff...ha ha. Merry Christmas to you & yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! This dish looks delicious... a must try :) Thanks for joining us at Me, You, and Creamed Corn. I look forward to the fellowship!

    Merry Christmas!

    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why thank you, Marisa! I too look forward to getting to know each other better.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete