|Such a creative centerpiece using a bundt pan, which most cooks have!|
A wonderfully moist, comforting cake, splendid with a cup of coffee. I've typically made this most years for Christmas, but I need to remind myself it's good anytime!! The center is filled with two layers of ground walnuts flavored with cinnamon and vanilla.
Walnut Coffee Cake
1 1/2 C (6 oz.) walnut pieces
1/2 C packed light-brown sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. heavy cream
2 3/4 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C + 2 Tbsp. butter
1 C granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 large eggs
2 C sour cream
1) Hand process all filling ingredients until walnuts are ground course. (you may use a food processor, but I just chop the walnuts up by hand, like I said)
2) Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease ad lightly flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
3) Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat butter in a large bowl with electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar, then vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time. With mixer on low speed add flour mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
4) Spread one-third of the batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the filling and spread with half of the remaining batter. Sprinkle with remaining filling and spread with remaining batter.
5) Bake 55-60 minutes until cake springs back when lightly touched and a pick inserted in center comes out clean.
6) Cool cake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Invert onto serving plate and cool about 15 minutes more. Serve warm.
Makes 12 servings