Monday, November 14, 2011

Leftover turkey? Here's a soup recipe I always make


Again, it's just not the holidays in my home if, after about 2-3 days of turkey leftovers including all the sides & desserts, I make up a huge pot of this soup.  So delicious and also good for you!


Turkey Noodle Soup

1/3 C butter
1 C thinly sliced celery
1/2 C chopped onion
*Optional:  add in a couple of carrots, cut into chunks
8 C ready-to-serve chicken broth (ummm, yeah, I cheat and it STILL tastes very good!)
1 pkg. (16 oz.) Reames Frozen Egg noodles (It HAS to be REAMES--they are as good as homemade)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 C cubed cooked turkey
1/4 C chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. sage, optional

Heat butter in skillet until melted.  Add celery and onion; cook about 3-5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.  Add broth; bring to a boil.  Stir in noodles, salt and pepper.  Simmer, uncovered, 35 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally.  Stir in turkey and parsley; heat through.
Makes 8 servings.

9 comments:

  1. My mom ALWAYS made soup from the turkey skeleton. Therefore, we called it Skeleton Soup. She cooked the boney bird plus all the leftovers we were tired of in water and when everything had fallen off the bones, she poured the liquid through a strainer. Then we picked out the turkey meat and tossed it in the pot with the liquid. Mom added carrots, celery, onion, and whatever else she found hiding in the refrigerator and let it cook till the veggies were tender. We licked up every mouthful. I tried the same trick with my kids--who declared they were not eating skeleton soup because they were tired of turkey all together. I think the older generation was more thanful for food than the next generation. They hadn't lived through rationing. Just a bit of history there....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand, Sandy! I personally don't like anything but the white meat, so I like this recipe for the fact that it's NOT made from all that "junk". I know everyone's different...but my own mother made it the way you described above. Naturally, I ate it, but didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I look forward to turkey leftovers, especially noodle soup, as much as the main turkey dinner! Thanks for sharing this tried-and-true recipe. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always made what I called Turkey Vegetable Soup.....pretty much all this same stuff....but to add those particular noodles will be a great change. Never had thought about it before, but those noodles will make it so much better. Thanks for the idea Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janice,
    yes, these noodles are what MAKE this dish! Until I discovered them, I resigned myself that I'd not taste my mother's homemade noodles again, until and unless I learned how to make them myself. The Reames taste so much like homemade. Hope you enjoy the soup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds delicious! My husband makes a really good turkey noodle soup too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds great for the chilly weather! I have stumbled this post. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cascia....a man that can cook is always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vicky, thanks for stumbling me! I love this and really should make it more than just a couple of times a yr., around the holidays.

    ReplyDelete