Thursday, October 20, 2011

Clam Chowder

This chowder is as good as any you'll find at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.  I lived in the Bay area for over 20 years and have adapted my recipe after the best!



Joe's Clam Chowder

1-lb. sm. white Boiling potatoes
1 C. half & half cream
1/2 C heavy whipping cream, in carton
4) 6 oz. cans chopped clams, drained (reserve the juice) ***NOTE:  I usually do 2 cans chopped & 2 cans minced as I prefer a different texture to my chowder
1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
black pepper to taste
Pinch of ground thyme

Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water until tender, about 25 minutes.  Drain.  Mash potatoes SLIGHTLY in same pot.  Meanwhile, scald the half & half and the whipping cream in a small saucepan.  Add potatoes, clams, 3/4 c. of the reserved clam juice, seasoned salt, pepper and thyme.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment